As usual, I love this week's articles. Of course, I liked the "Rules of the Streets" article, because it goes with what I've been saying almost this whole semester. Although I do not like the idea of some Germans going out looking to run into people, I do not believe that every little bump into someone needs some sort of apology, especially if it was an accident. This article was just another example of how I believe that Americans are just a bit more sensitive than Germans and how I admire Germans for their blunt, realistic personalities and characteristics.
The Sex Shops article was not too surprising. I know in America there is a big taboo put on sex and sex shops, and in many other countries that taboo is not present. I think it's pretty neat that Germans just don't care, obviously sex and all that goes with it is natural, and it is kind of strange to place such a taboo on the subject in America. Although I don't know if I could just nonchalantly walk into a sex shop in Germany, since I cannot deny that I am not prude about the subject as well, I definitely don't think I'd be uncomfortable seeing sex shops located all over. In a way, pretending sex shops don't exist makes the subject even more uncomfortable than if we were to speak openly about them and treat them just like another store, as they do in Germany.
As for the toilet ladies, I don't think I'd have a problem giving them some change or even a Euro when I use the facilities. I have been many places where you have to pay just to use the public bathroom so I don't see why optional payment to the ladies who keep it clean is such a big deal. Pay toilets in America aren't optional and although I could see how people who have never had to deal with pay toilets may be a little surprised to pay the toilet ladies, I see it as a great alternative, for after all payment IS optional. And, of course, why not help out a lady who spends her days alone in a bathroom? If that was my job and someone didn't pay me, I'd most likely grunt of displeasure also!
Finally, the flirting in Germany article was just sort of confusing. I think the subtlety of German flirting may be a nice break from the blunt flirting in America. (Flirting may be one of the only things I've learned Germans are less blunt about) But, in the end if messages are being misunderstood or completely missed that could just be frustrating and annoying. I'd like to think I'd know how to respond, but chances are I would respond to subtle flirting in some sort of wrong way which would probably not be good. I think it is difficult to learn about German flirting from text and one would probably learn best from situational experience.
With every chapter's articles I just get more excited to experience Germany and my dreams of living there one day just continue to grow.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.