The Loneliness of the Klofrau: Toilet Training for Visitors
This is a bit creepy. I have heard of restroom attendants in the United States, but have never actually seen one. In the U.S., these attendants are found at fancy restaurants and bars. From reading the article about Germany's "sanitation assistants," I get the impression that these workers do not get the "luxury" of working at such "upscale" bathrooms. They seem more like janitors, than "assistants," leading me to think they are the German equivalent of janitors.
Scoring a German
The way Germans flirt seems to be odd, compared to American standards.
It is funny that flirting standards in Germany are almost opposite of the United States. For example, I found it interesting that German men leave the flirting up to the woman. This is definitely breaking hegemonic masculinity ideals in America.
Rules of the Street
Even if they are not trying to be intentionally rude, I still would be upset if, while in Germany (or anywhere, for that matter) someone bumped into me and proceeded to walk away without an "excuse me."
It's kind of interesting that most German sites for American tourists I came across list the phrase as essential to know before traveling. Also, the youtube video below offers pronunciation of Entschuldigung. (Interestingly, the woman notes that you could use it on a crowded subway...I thought I didn't have to worry about being a rude tourist :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNoEVdFnVM
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.